Working for and with festivals and events
AFO was started in 1987 when a group of festival organisers came together to exchange views and ideas. It was clear that supporting each other was a good way forward for the whole of the festival scene. AFO is an independent organisation with an office in the East Midlands and a nationwide brief. AFO continues to develop and grow, providing support for its members and a voice for the festival and events industry to HM government, local authorities, UK live music industry and much more.
- Growing the Association from small beginnings to over 250 members.
- Contributing to major changes in licensing law
- Negotiating special arrangements with PRS for Music (Licensing)
- Arranging and maintaining contact with many other associations in the industry
- Assisting in the writing and editing of The Purple Guide Lite specifically for smaller events
- Creating a code of best practice and helping to form and maintain the All Party Parliamentary Group for Events
- Writing, assisting the editing and management of the Purple Guide online with colleagues at the Events Industry Forum (EIF)
AFO Advisory Group
Since its formation in 1987 the AFO has gone from strength to strength. This has not happened without the constant and steady support of an Advisory Group made up mostly, in the first instance, of well-experienced festival organisers but now expanding its membership to encompass a new wave of young and enthusiastic organisers from festivals of all kinds. The AFO Advisory Group comes together once or twice a year and communicates by phone and email to help put together the Conference and to discuss crucial issues that threaten or indeed support our work as festival and event managers.
The current core AFO Advisory Group is as follows:
- Bob Adams - Arts and Event Management
- Dave Watmore - Crawley Folk Festival
- Dick Dixon - Warwick and Bromyard Festivals
- Fiona Stewart - Green Man Festival
- James Shepard - Larmer Tree Festival
- John Hart - John Hart Music
- Jo Tuffs - Broadstairs Folk Week
- Joe Heap - Towersey Festival
- Lioux Heap - Association of Festival Organisers and Towersey Festival
- Mark Laurie - NCASS
- Rich Bryan - Bearded Theory
- Sarah Bird - Just So Festival
- Simon Care - Moulton Festival
- Steve Heap - Association of Festival Organisers
- Sue Torres - Wicked Events
We also invite others from time to time, applying their particular skills to current tasks.
Feel free to contact any of them at any time. Just click on their name.
Meet the Team
Steve Heap - General Secretary
Steve has been the General Secretary of AFO since its formation in 1987. He is also the Director of Mrs Casey Music and a Co-Director of Towersey Festival, now in its fifty-fourth year. He has over forty years’ experience in the festival and events industry and is currently Chairman of the Events Industry Forum (EIF) and a contributor to the Purple Guide.
Lioux Heap - AFO Accreditation
Lioux has over 20 years’ experience of working at festivals and events. She is currently the Producer of All About Children at Towersey Festival and also works on pre-Festival accreditation for Trade, Catering, Stewards and Box Office. Lioux also does freelance work for BBC Radio 2/7Digital Creative, Folk on The Pier and Costa del Folk.
Simon Care - AFO Accreditation
Simon has worked in the festival and events industry for 30 years.
As a musician, agent, manager and festival organiser his experience is both varied and comprehensive.
Related Pages: About us
Our services include building responsive websites, digital marketing, SEO, social media campaigns and training, and offline promotion and print too. We are delighted to have designed and developed the website for AFO....
AFO is delighted to be able to offer to membership advice on “the money”. Our good friends at APS Accountancy in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire and Dunstable, Bedfordshire are offering a similar service to that of Jon Payn...
Eventbrite brings people together through live experiences. Discover events that match your passions, or create your own with online ticketing tools. Eventbrite is an online ticketing platform wher...
Right now, we make wristbands, passes, lanyards and accreditation, but our product range is always growing. We're usually first in line when it comes to wristbands for festivals and events, but we are finding out other...
La Playa are award-winning expert insurance brokers specialising in Arts & Events. Long-standing supporters of AFO, La Playa run the AFO insurance Scheme, offering exclusive discounted rates for AFO members. For expert ad...
Award-winning specialist solicitors for your festival or event, LSL offer advice in most areas of law including Alcohol & Entertainment licensing, Contracts, Environment and Safety. Jon Payne is a long...
Stand Out is a must-read for the active buyer in the events marketplace....